Separation and Detection Part I Objectives and Resources
This presentation discusses electrophoresis, nucleic acid hybridization, and Southern, Northern, and Western blotting. (39 slides)
- Discuss the principles of electrophoresis as it applies to nucleic acids.
- List the similarities and differences between agarose and polyacrylamide gels and uses of each.
- Explain the use of buffers and additives in electrophoresis.
- Discuss capillary electrophoresis.
- Describe the types of equipment used for electrophoresis and how samples are handled for the procedure.
- Discuss differences and similarities between pulse field gel electrophoresis and regular electrophoresis regarding method and applications.
- Discuss detection systems used in nucleic acid applications.
http://www.dnalc.org/ddnalc/resources/electropheresis.html – gel electropheresis
http://www.gene-quantification.de/movoie.html Northern blot
Virtual Lab: Gel Electrophoresis – http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/
Actual Labs: Colorful Electrophoresis, Build a Gel Electrophoresis Chamber.
Resource: Roche CD, Molecular Technology: Microarrays, in situ Hybridization, Agarose Gel Electrophoreses, SDS-PAGE, Southern, Northern, and Western Blots, Troubleshooting
Readings: MD, Chapter 5 and Chapter 6: 94-102